The Langridge Family Hotel stood on the site from 1871 – 1889, when it was demolished and re-built as the Friendly Societies Hotel, designed by architect James Wood. The name is still visible along the top of the building. The owner at the time, William Nicholls, is believed to have been a member of six friendly societies, as well as a Freemason, and had a room built to hold large meetings for these groups.
Meetings of the Collingwood Football Club were also regularly held at the hotel, this article detailing the annual players’ dinner hosted by the Mayor in 1899. The hotel continues to be a “home ground” for magpie fans and is proud this association with the Collingwood Football Club goes back so far.
In 1984, the name was changed to The Carringbush Hotel, after the fictitious names given to the suburbs of Abbotsford and Collingwood in Frank Hardy’s famous book, “Power without Glory”.